As a landowner, you may either evict trespassers, travellers and squatters from your land under Common Law or by using a writ of possession. Government guidance to local authorities is that they should go through the courts, rather than use Common Law.

Common Law

Evictions under Common Law are normally carried out by Certificated Enforcement Agents (previously called certificated bailiffs). Using our nationwide team of Certificated Enforcement Agents, we will serve eviction notices, giving a maximum of 24 hours to vacate the site and will return the following day to ensure they have left. If they remain, our team, along with removal vehicles, tow trucks and the Police, if necessary, will remove them, restoring the land back to its rightful owner. 

To instruct our Certificated Enforcement Agents to evict trespassers from your land, please complete the Eviction under Common Law form.  

Writ of possession

To evict under a writ of possession, you will first need to obtain an order for possession and then the writ, which can be made against "persons unknown". This is then executed as soon as possible by our nationwide team of High Court Enforcement Officers. 

If you had agreed to let the persons on your land stay as long as they pay rent, if they default on that rent, you can sue for the rent arrears at the same time, using a combined writ. However, you will need to name the individuals in the writ in this case.

To instruct our HCEOs to evict trespassers from your land, please complete Form N293A.