A writ of possession is issued by the High Court after a judgment or order for possession of either property or land has been awarded. The CCJ or order can be transferred to the High Court for enforcement if the occupiers are deemed trespassers. An example would be the eviction of travellers or squatters from land or a property. If the judgment or order is issued in the High Court, then it must be enforced by an HCEO and may be against persons known or unknown.

In the case of an order for possession against residential or commercial tenants, the order may be transferred to the High Court for enforcement with the permission of the Court. This is applied for using Form N244 under Section 42 of the Country Courts Act 1984.

These are often combined with monetary orders allowing enforcement and the seizure of goods in the same manner as with a writ of control. A common example would be for the recovery of rent. Applying for a combined writ will save time as well as allowing the HCEO to enforce both simultaneously.