John was educated at Sherborne School and St. Catharine's College Cambridge, qualifying as a solicitor in 1972.
His was a partner at Burchell & Ruston from 1975 to 2007 and senior partner from 1993 to 2006. He was also the Deputy Sheriff Greater London (1976-1993) and Under Sheriff (1994-2013). John has been a Freeman of the City of London since 1988 [Bowyer (1988) and City of London Solicitors Companies (1995)].
John’s memberships include
- Under Sheriffs’ Association (past Hon Secretary)
- Shrievalty Association (past Hon Secretary)
- Sherborne Pilgrims (president 1997-2000)
- Trustee of Sherborne Foundation
- Director of the Barts Research Development Fund (1991-1997).
John is married and has two children and several grandchildren. His hobbies include golf and gardening.