Obtaining a judgment

How do I get a judgment?

You can either appoint a solicitor to manage your claim, or you can use the Government's serivce Money Claim Online. Money Claim Online can be used for money claims up to £100,000. Please view our video for more information.

I am owed money but haven’t got judgment yet, what do I do?

Simply visit the Sheriffs Money Claim Online or call 0333 001 5100 for all the information you need. Read more about this in our article.

My judgment or order is fairly old, can I still use the High Court for enforcement?

We can enforce Judgments or Orders up to 6 years of age. Read more about this in our article.

How much does it cost to get a writ?

Her Majesty’s Courts & Tribunals Service (HMCTS) charges £66.00 for a writ of possession or writ of control (known as a writ of fieri facias or fi fa prior to 6th April 2014)

Does my County Court Judgment (CCJ) or Order become a High Court Judgment?

No, it remains a County Court Judgment and is only passed to the High Court for the purposes of enforcement. Any representations by either party would still be made to the issuing county court. Read more about this in our article.

Do I need to send a Letter Before Action?

Yes, when you send the Letter Before Action, you are advising your debtor that your next step is to seek legal redress through the courts, without further notice, unless the matter is satisfactorily resolved within the next 14 days.

How much does it cost to get a judgment?

The court fees are set according to the value of the claim. You can check the current fee scales on Form EX50.

How do I use Money Claim Online?

You will need to register on the Government Gateway, then you can start your claim. It is quite straightforward, but if you prefer we can process your claim via Money Claim Online for a small fee.

Can you help me with Money Claim Online?

Yes, for a small fixed fee we can process your claim for you.

Who are HMCTS?

HMCTS stands for Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service. Payments for court fees are made to HMCTS.

What happens if the defendant disputes my claim?

If the claim is disputed, the case will be heard by a judge who will make a ruling on whether the claim is dismissed or judgment is awarded. If the defendant does not submit a defence at all, you will be awarded "judgment by default".

Do you provide process serving?

Yes we do. Please contact us on 0333 001 5100 for further details.